23 January 2017
Chairs welcome and opening remarks
Deep customer insights with humanoid robots
Pepper is a humanoid companion created to communicate with humans through his voice, touch, and the expression of his emotions. He will be joined by Julien Seret – VP Enterprise & EMEA Marketing at Aldebaran, who will be talking about his experience & business with humanoid robots .
Keynote Panel: The future of IoT development
- Landscaping the IOT ecosystem – What are growth forecasts for regional and worldwide markets? How fragmented is the market & how big is the entrance barrier? Which sectors are predicted to show the biggest growth and success?
- What are the newest technologies, platforms and solutions that help achieve connectivity?
- The importance of allowing interoperability of devices in the world of IoT and how far away are we from a universal standardisation? Discussing the implementation of open source and open standards
- What opportunities does the IOT present for developers and how beneficial is the continuous growth for this particular industry?
- Exploring key operational challenges in the Internet of Things market and how this might affect future growth and adoption
Self-controlled or remote-controlled? The automation of society is next
- Would our decisions, would our society be better, if we had more data? Would having all data in the world allow a “wise king” or “benevolent dictator” to achieve the best of all worlds? Helbing discusses that the surprising answer is “no”. The argument behind this idea turns out to be flawed.
- The attempt to build a Crystal Ball to predict our future and a Magic Wand to control it, would be destined to fail, no matter how powerful information systems we would build. Even though it is true that we have moved from a period where we had too little data for good decisions to a situation that allows us to take evidence-based decisions, there is still a gap between the complexity of our global system and the data we have about it and the computational power to process it, and this gap is quickly increasing!
- He refers to this problem as the “complexity time bomb”. So, will “fighting complexity” be a lost battle? Yes, if we don’t learn to use complexity for us. But this can be done, by turning from a centralized control to distributed control, from top-down to bottom-up approaches.
- The emerging sensor networks creating the “Internet of Things” will enable real-time measurements, allowing for adaptive feedback, as it is needed for self-regulating systems to work. I illustrate the problem with examples from traffic control on freeways and in cities, and explain why the digital revolution will most likely lead to a new organization of our economy and society.
The IoT Platform
Panel: Discovering the world of connectivity – Unlocking the promise of the IoT
- Exploring connectivity in the IoT in a world with heterogenous networks and potential restrictions of embedded devices
- Advances in wireless connectivity enabling the IoT within industry and the home
- Discovering the challenges that can potentially disrupt connectivity and how to solve those in the future – signalling, security, presence detection, power consumption, bandwidth
- What connectivity-based solutions are currently available and what can they achieve?
- The potential of country-wide dedicated IoT networks–are those to become the future of connectivity?
- LTE vs. 3G/2G, Sigfox, LoRa etc…
Keynote: The Internet of Revenue Generating Things
Meet the evolving demands and challenges of IoT development
As the challenges facing professional IoT developers and startups become increasingly varied, find out how. Through the process from proof of concept, to prototyping and meeting supply chain partners and taking your product into commercialisation.
Panel: Wearable technologies – an integral part of the IoE
- As the internet of everything (IOE) becomes a reality, how do we expect wearables to interact with the world around us?
- What are the benefits wearables will bring to society and businesses and what are the difficulties in creating a real value proposition?
- Making wearable technology a must have consumer good – how do we turn cool technology into something that makes a difference to people and organisations?
- Examining the challenges for wearable technology – eg. Battery life, data collection, and functionality and what are the possible solutions?
- Overcoming customer concerns with wearable data collection and ensuring that received value makes the data sharing trade-off worthwhile
Panel: Future Fashion – Augmented reality, wearable computing and the future of the body
- Discussing the convergence of fashion and technology – smart clothing, accessories and fitness wear that can do everything from monitor your heart rate to charge your smartphone
- Creating desire in an object
- Building partnerships between tech companies and the fashion industry – opportunities and threats
- Exploring innovations and developments within textiles and examining which areas will provide future growth and in what sectors?
- Where are we at and where will we be in 5 years time?
The power of disruptive IoT technology
This talk investigates how the Internet of Things (IoT) will impact innovation. Meet SAM, a disruptive IoT technology kit, with an unrivalled approach to instantly inventing your own smart objects while learning about electronics, and engineering.
- SAM Labs offers easy-to-use kits that include a range of Bluetooth wireless blocks that are connected through a super-simple app. Quickly learn the basics of coding and electronics while exploring the Internet of Things. SAM Labs makes integrating hardware, software and the Internet accessible and fun.
- There will be a live demo on stage of SAM Labs wireless kit and showing how quickly prototypes can be made
Solo Case study
24 January 2017
Chairs welcome and opening remarks
New wireless and battery free sensor technology enables sense data to be simply integrated into your IoT solution
- Uses standard Logistics backbone for power and communication
- Fully developed plug & play IoT gateway solution available for seamless cloud implementation
- Long read range, sense passively up to 15 meters
- Wires not required, battery free, small size and flexible
- Measure moisture, temperature, pressure and proximity using small and easily deployed sensor “tag”
- Applications in Medical, Industrial, Consumer & Automotive markets
Panel: Creating a standards framework for IoT
- What does the concept of standards really mean in the context of IoT?
- How can the varied standards relevant to the area effectively be integrated for IoT solutions?
- Can a verticalized approach to standards work?
- How can Open Source approaches to both hardware and software accelerate market adoption?
USEF – How working along a new common standard enhances value creation
• How flexibility impacts the system
• What flexibility market processes look like
• How working together along one common standard enhances value creation for all
Developing and launching an IoT product: An Investors Perspective
- What challenges are there for IoT product development and how can they be overcome?
- Understanding the route to market and stages in the start-up lifecycle for an IoT business
- What are investors looking for in an IoT business
- Success stories – what they got right, and why we chose to invest
The Future of Health is Smart
- IoT is a game changer for all domains including Health
- How can Health leverage the change IoT brings
- What are the opportunities for the Health Service
- What new models of care are possible with IoT
Panel: How IoT can transform the healthcare industry
- What do hospitals get out of IoT?
- How does IoT help patient engagement
- Discussing the big data opportunity – how IoT is generating real-time data that can help delivering exceptional, efficient healthcare e.g. by reducing downtime for revenue-generating equipment, more efficient use of equipment and quicker bed turnaround
- What are the unique challenges for hospital CIOs and how can they be overcome?
- Ways of making data useful, accessible, readable and relevant to healthcare professionals and patients while ensuring data security
- Developing effective regulations, policies and standardisation
New Business Opportunities Flexible Licensing Models in the Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) transforms engineering companies into software providers, making the protection of intellectual property absolutely critical. License management solutions play a major role in this area, at once protecting embedded software and building new business opportunities. Service offerings can be monetized through flexible licensing models, such as pay-per-use, function, or capacity-based models.
Start-up Panel: Funding your way into the World of IoT
- The start-up perspective to the Internet of Things – What are the most promising markets out there?
- How to survive as a start-up in the World of IoT and turn your business into the next big thing
- Discussing strategies to receive funding and running a successful crowd funding campaign
- Assessing the investment climate of the Internet of Things and knowing who to invest in – what do investors and incubators look out for?
IoT Start-up success stories
Be inspired! Hear from forward thinking companies and start ups, solving problems and creating innovative products in the IoT space.
Panel: Designing for the next generation of IoT devices
- Discussing emerging standards in the IoT and what factors influence design decisions for IoT devices the most?
- What are the building blocks for IoT design? What challenges do interaction designers and UX professionals face and how to overcome them
- Innovative design to drive progress vs. differentiation in the market
- Exploring methods for prototyping experience for connected products
- Interusability in IoT design and ways to build a coherent UX – Tips and tricks for composition, consistency and continuity