20 October 2016
Smart Cities: Chairs welcome and opening remarks
Keynote Panel: Smart Cities on the move
- Discussing smart city development in the US and beyond
- What are different global initiatives and how does it help the digital transformation between and within cities? Exploring common set standards and principles
- To what extend can new technologies help address socioeconomic and environmental challenges?
- What are the challenges of adopting new technologies from local to national networks and beyond? Discussing relevant rules, regulations and policies in place
- Exploring technologies, ecosystems and toolkits available for open and smart cities
- Monetisation strategies for smart cities
Keynote: Our Future Belongs to Smart Cities
- By 2050, 70% of the world will live in an urban environment
- Our challenges are growing and we need bold solutions and leaders
- Technology will be central to rethinking and redesigning our cities
- What are the near, medium, and long-term opportunities?
- Examples will be provided of City of Palo Alto smart city work
The future of urban mobility
- Environmental and sustanablity issues being addressed
- Data at the heart of transport innovation
- Improving quality of life through smart transportation
Panel: Smart Travelling – Creating intelligent transport systems
- Exploring the potential of IoT in the transport sector and how it can help cities to address trends such as traffic congestion, environmental awareness and improving quality of life
- What are the latest advancements and IoT technologies that enable connected transport systems?
- The benefits of implementing M2M technologies such as smart navigation and how it can positively affect urban mobility
- Discovering ways in which smart transportation can add business value and generate additional revenue
Panel: The cloud and big data as the cornerstone for Smart Cities
- Big data management via the cloud? – Exploring different strategies for making smart use of the width of data generated via smart cities
- How does big data technology help to improve smart cities? From public safety, to urban transportation, water and energy management and public sentiment analysis
- What cloud platforms, data analytics tools and other big data technology are currently available? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using those?
- In what way can cloud-based big data analytics help cities to achieve competitive advantage?
Securing the funds for our future smart cities
- Private investment vs. public funding – Weighing up the pros and cons and discussing best practice examples
- How can cities create a support network to achieve community-driven innovation and entrepreneurship to support funding and drive success
- Joint ventures and partnerships as a potential gateway
Transforming cities – towards a connected government
- Discussing the value of a connected government
- How a connected government can help to offer better social services and safe costs at the same time
- What do citizens want from a connected government in today’s digital world vs. what are priorities for government implementation?
- Evaluating the success and quantified benefits of a smart city to the citizen and the city
Case-study: Enabling data-driven open innovation
- Overview of smart data project and it’s impact on future city strategy
- How to manage vast amounts of data relevant to city systems
- Discussing the complexity of data hubs and their value to businesses and researchers
- Exploring concrete IoT solutions that support smart city innovation and economic growth
Smart Grids, sustainable cities and innovations in energy
- Exploring ways to make cities more effective and energy efficient using M2M and IOT solutions
- Smart grids as a gateway towards a better quality of life in cities?
- What processes need to be in place to adopt and implement innovative energy such as training of electricians and engineers?
- Strategies for individual businesses to support the path towards becoming a more sustainable and economic city (e.g. smart buildings)
- Discussing city partnerships with global leading companies to reach smart city goals – benefits and challenges